Winter is finally revving up, and with it, thoughts of how best to use the following months for prepping and tightening up survival plans in case SHTF. And no survival plan is complete without a suitable survival defense kit that includes sensible firearm choices.
I made my way through over 876 tables at the gun show, I found myself thinking that the following 7 weapons are still the best, and should be in every survival defense kit.
1. Alpha / Echo
- Gun Type: AR-15
- Manufacturer: Del-Ton
- Caliber: 5.56mm
- Barrel: 20“
- Wt. 8Lbs.
- Capacity: 30 rounds per magazine.
- Stock: A-2 or M4- 6 position
- Sights: A2 style
- Ammo Type: – 5.56 mm
- Projected Availability: Good. This round is common for military and most police department SWAT Teams.
- Maintenance Type: Regular rifle cleaning.
- Required Accessories: Rear fold down sight and or a rifle scope.
- Configuration Options: A2 or M4-6 position stock
- Suitable for Youths? Yes low recoil, easy to point, aim, and shoot.
- Suitable for Elderly? Yes light weight, low recoil, easy to point, aim, and shoot.
- Suitable Handicapped or Disabled? Depends on condition and how it will change over time.
My Opinion: This is a well-built AR-15 that will give you years of good service, is built to GI specs, and any AR-15 part kit may be used to repair. Not recommended for large game hunting, but can be used for small game, and is also excellent for house defense.